Thursday, October 25, 2012

Shall We Leave the Body Whole?

Early this morning I found myself praying for a minister I met just a few days ago.  Our meeting was by chance and certain time restraints prohibited somewhat.  Still, I felt our meeting was ordained of God and overshadowed by His spirit.  At any rate, just after awaking today I found myself praying for him, his family and church.

As I prayed I felt the Lord leading me to think upon an Old Testament story.  The story involved two mothers, two infants and a very wise king; Solomon.  One of the mothers, wearied by caring for her newborn during a time of famine, had lost the child to death one night.  Through the night, the agonized woman seized upon a dreadful idea: 'I'll take the live newborn of my roommate and leave my dead infant with the other mother...'  And so she did.


Can you imagine the sorrow of the good mother when she discovered a lifeless infant at her side?  Her sorrow then turned to amazement as she realized this might not have been her child - a switch had taken place!  Thousands of years ago, how would one prove the true parenthood of the living child?  The complexity of the case brought it swiftly to the wise King Solomon who shocked his court by calling for a sword.  Why would the King need a sword, the court had to wonder?  'I'll sever the child in half - then each mother can have half of the living child,' the King solemnly ruled.  (I Kings 3:16-28)


As his sword raised King Solomon noted the horror of the true mother as well as the wicked glee of the other.  The cry of the concerned parent confirmed what his eyes had already told him: the wise King could discern the true mother by her love for the child and her unquenchable determination to keep the child whole - and thus alive.


To us, then, what is this story supposed to reveal?  Is the Lord is leading us to understand that there are those present in the visible church who care not for the well being of the body of Christ but care only for their selfish, personal goals?  Are there those in the visible church who would rather see the Body of Christ divided than whole, who would rather see theie self-serving ideals furthered than to see the Body of Christ ministered to and becoming more whole and more holy?


Can we seek what we seek to gain our way, even when we think it is right, in a very low, subtle way?  Is it ever right to accomplish good  things in the wrong way?  


Do pray with me that we may feel the wise leading of God in these days and that we may contend with all diligence for a wholesome church!  


For more information on Jonathan please visit his little spot on the web, JonathanMilam.com

No comments:

Post a Comment