Thursday, July 26, 2012

A Healing Service

I hadn't thought about this until just recently and something jogged my memory...  Years ago I was preaching in southeast Texas and feeling great liberty in revival services.  Perhaps half the time I'd preach across the Sabine River in Louisiana where it seemed there simply wasn't the liberty or blessing.  I began to feel that the two areas, in two separate States, were operating as differing 'principalities'.  Convinced of this, I wrote several pastors in Texas including some scriptures about 'open doors, times and seasons' and so on.

Within a few days I received a phone call from a pastor in southeast Texas.  "Bro. Milam, I want to know who you've been talking to in my church", he asked.  After thinking a moment I replied, "I don't believe I know anyone in your church, Pastor."  He seemed surprised but went on to say that the scriptures that I had included in my letter to him had been prominent in recent public prophecies within his church; wonderful - I thought.  We agreed on a date and before long I found myself preaching my first message at his church.

I'd been quite delighted with "Taking Our Cities for God", a great book by John Dawson, in previous weeks and I felt led to speak about their city and its church's redemptive gift. "This city is not known for ship building but ship repair", I preached that morning.  "And this is also the redemptive gift for this church: to repair vessels that have been worn down and hurt...".  It was a simply enough thought but the intensity and focus brought to bear by the presence of God in that service was simply shocking.

In this facet I'm not sure I've ever been in a similar service:  As I ministered about the healing of vessels (the healing of the saints) a tremendous agreement, a marvelous unity seemed to bind us together.  Many of the church members began to weep as the presence of the Lord moved upon them, and I do mean WEEP!  At one point the weeping was so powerful that I simply could not be heard.  I recall pausing from my sermon and looking back at the pastor, seated (and sometimes standing) behind me; he simply shrugged and raised his hands as if to say, 'This is different from the norm for us, too...'.

The beautiful thing about that morning seemed to be not only the weeping of the sainthood but as they yielded to the Holy Spirit and received this word it seems that a healing balm came and miraculously began to heal the inner wounds that many saints had carried for many years.  What a God and what a service! In the following weeks there were many physical healings to match the spiritual and emotional healing of this first service; God is so good!  I recall to this day the power of the Lord in that service.  My prayer remains, "Dear Lord, show us our redemptive gift, open us to our innermost needs and meet them with your power and glory, through your word and your Spirit.  In Jesus' name I pray; Amen".

For more info on Jonathan and his ministry you may visit his website at jonathanmilam.com

No comments:

Post a Comment